[tldoc] Translating with Poedit & git/svn

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 01:39:24 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 01:21, Norbert Preining wrote:

>> 2.) TL insist in translations being shorter than 80 characters, while
>> Poedit insists in having as long lines as needed to fit the whole
>
> Yes, that is the painful change.
>
> we are using the GNU tools msgmerge xgettext etc for managing the
> message.pot file and merging it into the .po files (see
> tlpkg/bin/tl-update-messages)
>
> If we can do something on this side I would be happy to make the necessary
> changes to that script

I'm not sure about merging-splitting source lines, but Anh just found
out that long lines have already been patched in Poedit:
    https://github.com/vslavik/poedit/commit/e7bce76a1b50dcd3af56993a745cf373b01aa715

However I'm not sure if I want to try to compile the program myself as
it might have weird requirements (like xwidgets).

>> On top of that there are constant changes in TL that:
>> - change line numbers in comments
>
> That is something we cannot prevent, sorry.

I didn't want to suggest that. I just wanted to point out the sources
of changes (and warn about them; this cannot be avoided even if one
uses SVN, but doesn't commit regularly).

>> - change a single word in sentence and then the old translation flies
>> to comments and the new one appears untranslated
>
> That is a pain, and it shouldn't happen that often anymore. But I know
> about this problem and I am well aware, but you know ...

I prefer better English to stability of strings. See comment above.

Mojca