[tldoc] translation start

Daniel Flipo daniel.flipo at univ-lille1.fr
Wed Jul 23 11:22:44 CEST 2008

Karl Berry a écrit le 23.07.2008 02:12 :
>     > 4) Last thing, about tex-live.sty. I wonder why encoding 'latin-1' is
>     > mandatory for every language except for Russian.
>
> That was not my intent, it's just that only Boris has told me what to
> put in tex-live.sty.
>
> In general, my idea was that each texlive-??.tex would do
> \let\tldocSOMELANG = t
> and then we could conditionalize tex-live.sty accordingly.
>
> So just send me whatever you want to happen in tex-live.sty and I'll
> incorporate it.

My suggestion is to keep everything that is language specific inside
each texlive-??.tex file, specially calls to packages inputenc, fontenc
and babel (remember that these packages cannot be called again with
different options...).
Precisely I would replace
%
\ifx\tldocrussian\undefined
\RequirePackage{lmodern}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\def\p.{p.\,}
\else % russian
\usepackage[koi8-r]{inputenc}
\usepackage[russian]{babel}
\def\p.{{\cyr\cyrs\cyrt\cyrr.~}}%
\fi

\usepackage{textcomp}% including \textbullet
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
%
with
%
\RequirePackage{lmodern}
\RequirePackage{textcomp}% including \textbullet
\def\p.{p.\,}
\ifx\tldocrussian\undefined
\else % russian
\usepackage[koi8-r]{inputenc}
\usepackage[russian]{babel}
\def\p.{{\cyr\cyrs\cyrt\cyrr.~}}%
\fi
%

The "\ifx\tldocrussian\undefined ... \fi" part could also be moved to
texlive-ru.tex, but it's up to Boris to choose what he likes best.
[as far as I can see, it is the only use of the \tldocLANG flags].

Each translator could then add according to his/her needs:
\usepackage[???]{inputenc}
\usepackage[???]{fontenc}
\usepackage[???]{babel}
and overwrite what he/she doesn't like.  For French, I redefine
\def\p.{page~}

--
Daniel Flipo