[tldoc] translating TeX Live top-level readme.html

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Sep 8 01:46:35 CEST 2004

Dear TeX Live documentation/translator folks --

I still haven't started work on the main TeX Live documentation update,
but I did update the top-level readme.html file today.  Mainly changing
the url's to reflect the new texmf-doc hierarchy.

I'm sure there will be one or two more minor changes, depending on how
the Windows installation shakes out, but this should be basically it,
and I thought it might be worth sending it out now, to get things rolling.

Attached is a zip file with the new HTML and plain text versions, and a
diff from last year's.

We currently have translations of these files for Czech, German, French,
Polish, and Russian.  Others would be welcome.  Please send me
html/plain text files exactly as I should check them in; probably best
to send in a zip archive (or whatever), to avoid possible mangling by
mailers.  (Of course, if you have access to the perforce repository
already, feel free to check them in yourself.)

If you plan to work on it, please let me know, even if you don't have
time to update the translation right away.  Or if you worked on the
translations last year, but won't have time this year, so I can try to
recruit others.

Still to come, just FYI: in addition to the TeX Live update (which
should be pretty small), there is a new document this year.  We are
including a third disc containing MikTeX this year (and dropping the TL
demo disc).  Thomas Feuerstack has written a very nice pdf-based
installation document for MikTeX.  It's a pretty standard LaTeX file,
about 30k.  We have an English translation (thanks Steve).  No absolute
requirement to have other translations, but the more the merrier.  I
will post the source and details when Thomas and Steve have something
stable.

Thanks,
karl