conflict between lineno and amsmath packages in TeXLive 2022? Some environments (like \gather) are already defined

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Fri Jan 6 20:47:52 CET 2023

Am Fri, 6 Jan 2023 17:25:06 +0000 schrieb Jonathan Fine:

> In light of this, please would you reconsider your opposition

No. As I wrote: it is not the job of texlive (and miktex) to start
to maintain or fix the thousands LaTeX packages. It is also not
their job to change unasked packages which are actively maintained.

> Frank in my opinion seems not to regard this as (in
> your words)
>
> a trivial error which can be resolved by loading a package earlier.

It is a nuisance and something the author should (and will) correct
but it is trivial to fix in a document: \RequirePackage{amsmath}
before the class will always work.

Not that it matters for me, but the errors you would get if you
revert the package would not be trivial and not so easy to fix: the
output of documents that rely on the new features would suddenly
have hard to spot faulty output.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/