texhax Digest, Vol 2021, Issue 196

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 4 15:53:51 CEST 2021

Thanks.  I'm not sure I will use that paper for any work but
just was testing bibtex since I was there :)  Generally
TooBib is pretty good about finding alternatives but its
single threaded and if one hangs nothing happens. I guess multi-
threaded race would work better and just terminate the others...

I just stopped using the crossref x-bibtex feature and
got the result below. Apparently they return json, see the "citeurl"
entry, and I already have a json parser but though their x-bibtex
thing worked ok.  It looks like there is a lot of stuff in there but
I checked it on a retracted paper on nature.com but there
was no indication in the bibtex that the paper had been retracted.

 % mjmhandler: toobib guesscdnscience<-handledoilink
% date 2021-10-04:09:48:22 Mon Oct 4 09:48:22 EDT 2021
% srcurl: https://cdnsciencepub.com/doi/abs/10.1139/o59-099
% citeurl: http://api.crossref.org/works/10.1139/o59-099
@article{1959_Bligh_Dyer_RAPID_METHOD_TOTAL_LIPID,
abbrvjrnl = {Can. J. Biochem. Physiol.},
abstract = {<jats:p> Lipid decomposition studies in frozen fish have led to the development of a simple and rapid method for the extraction and purification of lipids from biological materials. The entire procedure can be carried out in approximately 10 minutes; it is efficient, reproducible, and free from deleterious manipulations. The wet tissue is homogenized with a mixture of chloroform and methanol in such proportions that a miscible system is formed with the water in the tissue. Dilution with chloroform and water separates the homogenate into two layers, the chloroform layer containing all the lipids and the methanolic layer containing all the non-lipids. A purified lipid extract is obtained merely by isolating the chloroform layer. The method has been applied to fish muscle and may easily be adapted to use with other tissues. </jats:p>},
author = {E. G. Bligh and W. J. Dyer},
bib-source = {Crossref},
date = {1959-08-01},
date-created = {2009-12-17T16:50:17Z},
date-indexed = {2021-10-04T12:06:45Z},
day = {01},
doi = {10.1139/o59-099},
issn = {0576-5544},
issue = {8},
journal = {Canadian Journal of Biochemistry and Physiology},
month = {08},
page = {911-917},
publisher = {Canadian Science Publishing},
subject = {General Medicine},
title = {A RAPID METHOD OF TOTAL LIPID EXTRACTION AND PURIFICATION},
url = {http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/o59-099},
volume = {37},
year = {1959},
srcurl={https://cdnsciencepub.com/doi/abs/10.1139/o59-099},
xsrcurl={https://cdnsciencepub.com/doi/abs/10.1139/o59-099},
citeurl={http://api.crossref.org/works/10.1139/o59-099}

}

I took the DOI of your sample document and ran it through the script
that queries crossref.org available at

        http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe/doi-to-bibtex.sh

and got this:

@article{Bligh_1959,
        doi = {10.1139/o59-099},
        url = {https://doi.org/10.1139/o59-099},
        year = 1959,
        month = {aug},
        publisher = {Canadian Science Publishing},
        volume = {37},
        number = {8},
        pages = {911--917},
        author = {E. G. Bligh and W. J. Dyer},
        title = {A {RAPID} {METHOD} {OF} {TOTAL} {LIPID} {EXTRACTION} {AND} {PURIFICATION}},
        journal = {Canadian Journal of Biochemistry and Physiology}
}

Further processing by bibclean and biborder produces

@Article{Bligh_1959,
  author =       "E. G. Bligh and W. J. Dyer",
  title =        "A {RAPID} {METHOD} {OF} {TOTAL} {LIPID} {EXTRACTION}
                 {AND} {PURIFICATION}",
  journal =      "Canadian Journal of Biochemistry and Physiology",
  volume =       "37",
  number =       "8",
  publisher =    "Canadian Science Publishing",
  pages =        "911--917",
  month =        aug,
  year =         "1959",
  DOI =          "https://doi.org/10.1139/o59-099",
  URL =          "https://doi.org/10.1139/o59-099",
}

I track publications in the Canadian Journal of Mathematics and the
Canadian Mathematical Bulletin, and routinely convert their Web pages
with my software to get BibTeX entries.

See

        http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib/canmathbull.bib
        http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib/canmathbull.html

        http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib/canjmath2020.bib
        http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib/canjmath2020.html

[change decade from 2020 to 1940, 1950, ...]

It could be that your sample is similarly formatted in HTML, in which
case, conversion of their publication history might be relatively
straightforward.

Can you be more specific about what you are trying to do with this
journal: is it just a single entry, or everything by one or both of
the authors, or the whole journal?  Its subject matter is out of my
area of interest, so I would not normally convert it.