Some thoughts on a ground-up remake of LaTeX

Philip Taylor (Hellenic Institute) P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Sat Nov 6 17:08:26 CET 2021

On 06/11/2021 15:44, Don Hosek wrote:

> As David says, this is a ground-up language. By separation of concerns
> there’s a good possibility to manage some interesting use cases. The
> architecture is not unlike a contemporary compiler in that the parsing
> is done to an intermediate representation which will then be converted
> to the final output, but this means that, for example, someone could
> plug a XML parser into the front end and use all of the back-end
> capabilities for typesetting. There will be multiple back ends
> allowing the same file to reliably target output to PDF, HTML/ePub,
> XML+MathML or even InDesign or Word. I’m thinking that a
> direct-to-screen backend will make sense for the beamer-equivalent and
> give greater flexibility than is currently possible using PDF
> presentation mode. But that’s all many years in the future. Right now
> all I can do is take a text file with TeX-style coding of -- --- `` ‘’
> etc.¹ and output the corresponding Unicode characters.

OK, thank you, understood Don.  But why, then, do you want to "take a
text file with TeX-style coding of -- --- `` ‘’ etc.¹ and output the
corresponding Unicode characters", when in your manifesto you write
"Unicode needs to be a first-class citizen. There’s no reason in 2020
for a document writer to have to type |\’a| instead of |á| in a
document. UTF-8 is the new 7-bit ASCII." ?  Who, these days, writes --
--- `` ‘’ when they can so easily write –, —, “, ” ?

--
/** Phil./