[EXTERNAL] Re: TeX on Windows? [success!] [BUT PCTeX?]

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed May 26 18:46:10 CEST 2021

> BUT are my previous installations of MikTeX irrelevant to this
> TeXLive installation?

It shouldn't matter.

> If I delete the new one and eventually my university IT
> people are successful in deleting MikTeX (I guess I can just
> leave it), will that affect TexLive?

No.

> Does anyone know about the bug in uninstalling MikTeX on a
> windows 10 machine? It reports an error and refuses to uninstall.

Well it is hard to say, if all the info you give is "it reports an
error". Also it is quite unclear in which state your old miktex was,
and what happened after you added a new one. So quite probably
miktex is now as confused as you are.

 > I have a general question. Most of the regular people like me are
> on either a PC or a Mac, and don't use Linux or Unix like typical
> TeXperts (my impression).

I'm on windows.

> since which I have been
> blissfully using PCTeX and unaware of the efforts one must go
> through to have a free installation. When I finished installing
> TeXLive, I had no idea what to do with it.

And so what? It can happen all the time that one is confused by
something new. Do you really expect to understand everything
directly without struggling a bit first? The problem was resolved
easily wasn't it? You simply asked and someone told you what to do.

If you don't want to install and maintain a local tex system, use an
online system like overleaf www.overleaf.com.
Be aware that it can be a bit confusing at the start too,
but they have a good support crew.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/