TeX on Windows? [Texlive installed. Now what?]
robert.jantzen at villanova.edu
Wed May 26 04:59:16 CEST 2021
Okay, 3 hours and Texlive was installed. Now what? I nosed around trying to figure out what to do with it, unsuccessfully. Is there some interface to typeset files? I am clueless here. I see this Texlive shell page that means nothing to me.
I thought TeX was an easily accessed program for regular people like myself. I guess I was living in a dream world, with PCTeX as my security blanket. Now ripped from my hands.
From: Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk>
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 6:12 PM
To: Robert Jantzen <robert.jantzen at villanova.edu>
Cc: Dr Alan Litchfield <alan at alphabyte.co.nz>; texhax at tug.org
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: TeX on Windows?
Robert Jantzen wrote:
I am running Windows 10 on a 2 year old Dell Latitude laptop (Villanova University issue). My PCTex6.1 typesets my 836 page text on Differential Geometry in about 10 seconds, but requires 3 passes, then I export to PDF maybe 20 seconds and I get a beautiful PDF book BUT the cross-links do not work. Earlier in the decade they would work, now I am stuck unable to update my PDF book with working navigation.
OK, do you have administrator access to that machine ? Regardless, try what I did today in order to install TeX Live 2021 afresh -
1. Download the TeX Collection 2021 ISO file from http://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/texlive-utah-2021/Images/texcol2021.iso<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fftp.math.utah.edu%2Fpub%2Ftexlive-utah-2021%2FImages%2Ftexcol2021.iso&data=04%7C01%7Crobert.jantzen%40villanova.edu%7Cdfd9d395c6ef41a4d8e408d91fca1d8a%7C765a8de5cf9444f09cafae5bf8cfa366%7C0%7C0%7C637575775198604095%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=ePjP4zPrpTUafIG1IVIqR40yacwctmKiAFTBSmf%2F23o%3D&reserved=0>
2. Extract all files to a new directory (e.g., C:\TeX Collection 2021) on your hard disc
3. Navigate (in Windows Explorer) to C:\TeX Collection 2021
4. Double-click on files "setup.bat"
5. When the TeX Collection DVD 2021 GUI launches, tell it that you want to "Run TeXLive Setup"; if you have administrator access, then also tell it "... as Administrator".
6. Expect a bug report just after the last package has been installed - this should be non-fatal.
7. Wait for installation to complete (circa 3 hours), then test and report back.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the texhax