[External] Re: Installing TeX Live on Windows 7, potential problems

Beuthe, Thomas thomas.beuthe at cnl.ca
Tue May 25 23:52:23 CEST 2021

UNRESTRICTED  /  ILLIMITÉE

> > Estimated time to completion on my Fujitsu Celsius W550 (i7, 16GB, 1TB  > M2 SSD + 32TB disc farm) is around three hours, installing from a 16GB  > USB stick >onto which has been unpacked the complete TeX Collection ISO.
 >> USB Device Tree Viewer V3.5.2 shews the USB stick as being connected to  > a USB 2.0 MTT Hub under an Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller.
 >> Installing is taking place to the M2 SSD.
>
>On my Linux machine installation of current TeX Live with binaries for one platform from a USB-3 stick takes less than 15 minutes.
>
>I cleared the file-system cache before installation to make sure that data was read from the stick and not from memory.  Install target was an SSD but installing >to a hard drive wouldn't be much slower.

...and yet when I watch the processes run on Windows, it's so slow I can see each and every one of the individual perl jobs boot, unpack a package, and then go away again. One by one. Is there something in the script that holds things back on Windows?
This email is confidential between the sender and the intended recipient specified in the message, and may contain proprietary or otherwise protected information of the intended parties. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and confirm you have deleted this message. Any unauthorized review, disclosure, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or reliance on this information may be unlawful and is strictly prohibited.