Using fonts from the LaTeX Font Catalogue

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Sat May 8 12:20:59 CEST 2021

I suspect using the aliases file can be made to work.

If I take the plain xetex file

\font\asm=["Asana-Math"]\show\asm \asm a

\font\asmb=["Alegreya"]\show\asmb \asmb b

\bye

then by default it will fail.

You can make it work by configuring fontconfig as discussed at length but
you can also make it work
by saving this file  aliases (no extension) in
/usr/local/texlive/2021/texmf-dist/aliases

Alegreya-Regular.otf Alegreya
Asana-Math.otf Asana-Math
Asana-Math.otf AsanaMath
FreeSerif.ttf FreeSerif
NotoSerif-Regular.ttf NotoSerif

Unfortunately that doesn't allow the asanamath.tex test file from the font
catalogue to run as

\setmainfont{Asana-Math}

seeing no extension only tries fontconfig lookup not kpathsearch so the
alias doesn't get seen but that is probably fixable.

David