Generating bibtex entry from a URL: zotero, zbib and TooBib.

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Wed May 5 16:41:30 CEST 2021

On Wed, May 05, 2021 at 10:33:38AM +0100, Jonathan Fine wrote:
>    Was: Re: crediting contributions to a work- people or things like photographs. What tools do people use?
>    Hi Mike
>    You wrote:
>
>      I have also been working on a script, now a c++ program that invokes mostly bash utilities called TooBib , to generate a
>      bibtex entry from just about any url ( right now this just works with journal articles and similar).
>
>    It seems that [https://www.zotero.org/]https://www.zotero.org/, via [https://zbib.org/]https://zbib.org/, already provides
>    this or similar functionality (and much more besides).

Thanks, I've heard the name but wasn't sure what it did I'll and add it to my list of things.

>    For example I pasted [https://arxiv.org/abs/2104.12015]https://arxiv.org/abs/2104.12015
>    into [https://zbib.org/]https://zbib.org/. In Export I then chose Download BibTeX from the dropdown menu. This gave me
>    @article{jones_kleins_2021,
>    title = {Klein's ten planar dessins of degree 11, and beyond},
>    url = {[http://arxiv.org/abs/2104.12015]http://arxiv.org/abs/2104.12015},
>    abstract = {We reinterpret ideas in Klein's paper on transformations [snip] arise as permutation groups and monodromy
>    groups of degree \$p\$ (an open problem in group theory).},
>    urldate = {2021-05-05},
>    journal = {arXiv:2104.12015 [math]},
>    author = {Jones, Gareth A. and Zvonkin, Alexander K.},
>    month = apr,
>    year = {2021},
>    note = {arXiv: 2104.12015},
>    keywords = {Mathematics - Group Theory, Mathematics - Algebraic Geometry, Mathematics - Number Theory, 05C10, 11G32, 11N13,
>    11N32, 14H57, 20B20, 20B25},
>    }
>    It also gave me, via Link to this version, a permanent link to this bibliography
>    item: [https://zbib.org/a310f7062faa4b4bba050ede5de85bf8]https://zbib.org/a310f7062faa4b4bba050ede5de85bf8

Arxiv is a good example as it was IIRC hard to get bibtex. There are apparently two routes to getting aritcle bibitex - their
lookup system and the html meta data. Your result apparently contains a journal translation
I will need to add that is not in the current code. The two raw results I got
are below and I would normally just take the first one. Also some notation is a bit
uncommon I would have to translate. These little things do take time to add
but that gives me more flexibility ( note I have added things like download time
and discovery method ). I'm not sure what Zotero does for a non-web-lookup
but I like  my workflow ( copy url, normally hit "up arrow" in the script
window, look at bibtex, maybe edit it, hit uparrow a few more times to add to my
library ). I'll try their web interface on a few examples when I get a chance
and post any interesting comparisons.    Maybe they do a better job
than google scholar :)

% mjmhandler: toobib guessarxivthree
% date 2021-05-05:10:32:55 Wed May 5 10:32:55 EDT 2021
% srcurl: https://arxiv.org/abs/2104.12015
% citeurl: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2021arXiv210412015J/exportcitation
@ARTICLE{2021arXiv210412015J,
       author = {{Jones}, Gareth A. and {Zvonkin}, Alexander K.},
        title = \"{Klein\'s ten planar dessins of degree 11, and beyond}\",
      journal = {arXiv e-prints},
     keywords = {Mathematics - Group Theory, Mathematics - Algebraic Geometry, Mathematics - Number Theory, 05C10, 11G32, 11N13, 11N32, 14H57, 20B20, 20B25},
         year = 2021,
        month = apr,
          eid = {arXiv:2104.12015},
        pages = {arXiv:2104.12015},
archivePrefix = {arXiv},
       eprint = {2104.12015},
 primaryClass = {math.GR},
       adsurl = {https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2021arXiv210412015J},
      adsnote = {Provided by the SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System},
xsrcurl={https://arxiv.org/abs/2104.12015},
citeurl={http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2021arXiv210412015J/exportcitation}

}

% mjmhandler: toobib handlegsmeta(html)
% date 2021-05-05:10:32:59 Wed May 5 10:32:59 EDT 2021
% srcurl: https://arxiv.org/abs/2104.12015
% citeurl: https://arxiv.org/abs/2104.12015
@article{KleinplanarJonesGareth2021C,
abstract = {We reinterpret ideas in Klein's paper on transformations of degree~$11$ fromthe modern point of view of dessins d'enfants, and extend his results byconsidering dessins of type $(3,2,p)$ and degree $p$ or $p+1$, where $p$ isprime. In many cases we determine the passports and monodromy groups of thesedessins, and in a few small cases we give drawings which are topologically (or,in certain examples, even geometrically) correct. We use the Bateman--HornConjecture and extensive computer searches to support a conjecture that thereare infinitely many primes of the form $p=(q^n-1)/(q-1)$ for some prime power$q$, in which case infinitely many groups ${rm PSL}_n(q)$ arise as permutationgroups and monodromy groups of degree $p$ (an open problem in group theory).},
arxiv_id = {2104.12015},
authors = {Jones, Gareth A. and  Zvonkin, Alexander K.},
date = {2021/04/24},
day = {24},
firstpage = {},
lastpage = {},