Using fonts from the LaTeX Font Catalogue

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed May 5 11:35:56 CEST 2021

Am Tue, 4 May 2021 17:51:09 -0700 schrieb Paulo Ney de Souza:

> Just to show you, I executed the above commands (everything was already
> installed by the default on a plain vanilla TL installation) and I went to
> check
> a few fonts. The first one I chose
>
>      movieola.tex:! LaTeX Error: File `emerald.sty' not found.

If you look at the font info in the font catalog, then it clearly
says

Part of TEX Live?
Movieola is not part of TEX Live.

> I went to another one:
>
>     luximono.tex:! LaTeX Error: File `luximono.sty' not found.

Again the font page says

Part of TEX Live?
LuxiMono is not part of TEX Live.

Sorry but this type of test if unfair und nonsense.

fonts have licenses and if you want to use a font without a licence
suitable for texlive, then you will have to pay for it: with time
for the installation and perhaps even with money. If you find this
too bothersome, use miktex with has less restrictions (but won't
support all fonts of the catalog either).

>> The MathTime Pro fonts are commercial and you cannot blame
>> the TeX community for any issues with their installation.

> There are both Commercial and Free versions. The Free version could
> easily be dealt with by "getnonfreefonts".

Well I have no idea if the licence of the fonts allow the
integration in getnonfreefonts, but did you actually ever contacted
the maintainer and asked if he can include it and if not why not?

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/