Using fonts from the LaTeX Font Catalogue

Paulo Ney de Souza pauloney at gmail.com
Wed May 5 02:51:09 CEST 2021

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 7:59 PM Bob Tennent <rdtennent at gmail.com> wrote:

> Paulo:  In what way is getnonfreefonts easier than doing
>
>   tlmgr install collection-fontsrecommended
>   tlmgr install collection-fontsextra
>
> which are comparable to your proposed getanyfont?

Not at all. The domain of fonts is completely different. Not to mention that
a LOT of source files and information on the LaTeX Font Catalogue is out
of date and no longer works.

Just to show you, I executed the above commands (everything was already
installed by the default on a plain vanilla TL installation) and I went to
check
a few fonts. The first one I chose

     movieola.tex:! LaTeX Error: File `emerald.sty' not found.

I went to another one:

    luximono.tex:! LaTeX Error: File `luximono.sty' not found.

and then another, and another ....

    gandhiserif.tex:! LaTeX Error: File `gandhi.sty' not found.
    garamondexpertmathdesign.tex:! LaTeX Error: File `garamondx.sty' not
found.
    covington.tex:! LaTeX Error: File `covfonts.sty' not found.

then I gave up ...  it just needs work! Documentation is hard!

> It would help us understand what exactly you are complaining
> about if you would provide some concrete examples.

Recheck these examples above. If you want a complete list I can generate
one for you.

The MathTime Pro fonts are commercial and you cannot blame
> the TeX community for any issues with their installation.
>
> Bob T.

There are both Commercial and Free versions. The Free version could
easily be dealt with by "getnonfreefonts".

This is one of the reasons why the XeTeX/LuaTeX font handling is so nice
-- from the point of view of the user -- it leaves your TL tree undisturbed.

Best,
Paulo Ney