Using fonts from the LaTeX Font Catalogue.

Peter Wilson herries.press at earthlink.net
Tue May 4 20:50:22 CEST 2021

For many years I set type using lead fonts, which were limited in scope
--- it cost you money to get enough sorts (sort is a piece of lead type)
in a particular font in a particular size to typeset the text and design
that you wanted. The constraints were actually very valuable. For some
time I was a volunteer at a USA community college that provided printing
courses for those interested in newspapers, books, ephemera, etc. The
basic process was to use a computer to create an electronic version of
the document and then have it printed on a four colour press. The fonts
available were multitudiness --- whatever was available on the (Mac)
computer. Students had to spend less than a week doing traditional
letterpress printing. The general reaction was that the computer systems
were much easier to use with virtually no constraints on how the result
would look. A few appreciated that the constraints involved in using
limited fonts and sizes made them much more aware of how to deal with
limited resources and forced them to think deeply about what they were
doing.

I'm inclined to believe that easy access to myriad fonts in myriad sizes
and styles is not a good thing. You have to work if you want to be
outside the box.

Peter W.