Using fonts from the LaTeX Font Catalogue.

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Mon May 3 14:16:33 CEST 2021

Bob Tennent wrote:

> I regret that I've disappointed *you* but I'm sure that Rolf
> will understand the general point that one uses an arbitrary
> font selected from the LaTeX Font Catalogue by clicking
> on the name of the font and following the instructions
> presented on the font-specific page. Usually those will
> involve using a package that provides the infrastructure
> required by *LaTeX* processors. I suggest you prepare a
> *TeX* Font Catalogue that provides comparable instructions
> for users like yourself who avoid LaTeX.

I think that you (perhaps intentionally) miss my point, Bob, which has
/nothing/ to do with my loathing of LaTeX.  The situation is directly
analogous to the well-known apophthegm "Give a man a fish, and you feed
him for a day; teach a man to fish, and you feed him for life".  In the
present example, use of  BrushScriptX-Italic requires a dedicated
package, "pbsi".   I have no idea how many fonts are listed in the LaTeX
font catalogue, but if each and every one of them requires a dedicated
package, then therein lies madness.  What is required is not a a link to
a /package/ but rather a link to the description of how one can use an
arbitrary font supplied only as an AFM/PFA pair — document that, and you
feed a LaTeX font catalogue user for life.  Document only a package
dedicated to one single font, and you feed him for only a day.
--
/Philip Taylor/