Using fonts from the LaTeX Font Catalogue.

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Mon May 3 11:48:21 CEST 2021

Bob Tennent wrote:

> In the LaTeX font catalogue where you found
> BrushScriptX-Italic, click on BrushScriptX-Italic. That
> will take you a page with a Text example, Usage and Style
> example. And there is also a link to the LaTeX source of the
> Text example. And you are told that the relevant package is
> part of TeXLive and its location at CTAN.

That is very useful information, Bob, and it would not have occurred to
me to click on the name of the font in order to learn more, but I am
somewhat disappointed to find that the additional information provided
is predicated on the use of a font-specific package —

>       Usage
>
> \usepackage{pbsi}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>

>       Style examples
>
> \bsifamily

Whilst this adequately addresses the question of "how is one intended to
use the font 'BrushScriptX-Italic'", it does not address Rolf's more
general point of "how does one use an arbitrary font selected at random
from the LaTeX Font Catalogue".  Since BrushScriptX-Italic is provided
as an AFM/PFA pair, a more general answer would have addressed how one
can use /any/ font provided only in these formats, but to conceal the
details in a package "pbsi" without documenting how the desired aim is
accomplished is not as helpful as it might be ...
--
/Philip Taylor/