Using vc in a Makefile

Zunbeltz Izaola textnik.typesetting at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 08:41:30 CET 2021

Hi Christopher,

I am using vc in such a way to typeset my reports in a linux system.

I use my own cls file for the reports. I have the following lines there
(but you can do it in your main.tex file)

% Execute the vc script with full option. I had used the script with bzr,
but nowadays I only use git
\immediate\write18{sh ./vc -f}
% Input the generated vc.tex file with the information gathered by vc
script.
\InputIfFileExists{vc}{}{}
% I have a custom python script that modifies a bit the version_history
table
% (using the vhistory package to print a table with the different versions
a their commit messages)
% My script sanityze commit messages to be able to be typeset by tex
(special characters, and other stuff).
\immediate\write18{./parselog.py > version_history.tex}

% At the proper position (after the \maketitle I input the version history
table.
\InputIfFileExists{version_history.tex}{}{}

In make file yuo just need to activate the -shell-escape option:

compile:
     lualatex -shell-escape main.tex

I hope it helps

Zunbeltz Izaola