something dumb on bibtex entry format,

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 17:13:51 CET 2021

\} is the latex syntax for \the character } so in fields taking tex streams
you have a literal } character and a missing } to match the {  at the
beginning.
in fields taking numeric entries it's again a missing closing brace and
then a spurious } in the date I would expect.
actually what happens is that bibtex takes this as a literal \ so the
generated bbl file has

\newblock Boston, MA, USA, 2015-09-08 00:00:00 2015. John Wiley \& Sons,
Ltd \.

but \. is the accent command  and the argument here is the \par from the
following blank line so latex gives the error

! Paragraph ended before \OT1\. was complete.

same with the month field teh \ is just passed to latex but here you get

\newblock Boston, MA, USA, 2015-09-08 00:00:00 \ 2015. John Wiley \& Sons,
Ltd.

so you get the safe \   rather than \.{\par} just by accidental chance of
this bib style.  If the bib style had put a full stop rather than a space
after the date you would have had the same error as before.