Auto incremented document number

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 13:24:31 CET 2021

Hi

Regarding https://jfine2358.github.io/post/2021/01/21/multi-author-docs/

Consider a cloud service that typesets reports. In some (I think many)
situations it's better that the cloud service be stateless.

In that case the cloud service must be give the report number to use (in
some form), but is incapable of incrementing the report number. (In
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serverless_computing there is a file system,
but it exists only during the typesetting of the report. At the end of
typesetting, it is recycled.)

An architecture that gives TeX the responsibility for incrementing the
report number is inconsistent with serverless computing. (The phrase
transient server computing might be more accurate here.)

My preference and opinion is that serverless typesetting has a great deal
to offer to the TeX community.

--
Jonathan