customizing biblatex's numeric style

Harald Hanche-Olsen harald.hanche-olsen at ntnu.no
Mon Feb 15 15:16:13 CET 2021

-----Original Message-----
From:  Enrico Schumann <es at enricoschumann.net>
Date: Monday, 15 February 2021 at 14:22

    Sorry if this is off-topic; but I think it is quite common
    to use an en-dash for combining the names of different
    people. (McGraw and Hill were two different people.)

You are surely correct about the common usage of the en-dash. I am somewhat sensitive to the issue myself, having a hyphenated surname.

However, as far as I have been able to find out, the company itself used a hyphen in its own name. Hence I think correct usage is indeed with a hyphen.

This is perhaps not unlike the origin of hyphenated names like my own: My great-grandfather Oscar Olsen married Othilie Hanche, and my grandfather took the hyphenated name combining the two. In the same vein, then, you could consider the publishing company the joint offspring of McGraw and Hill.

(After the company split up, they seem also to have split the name, so it is now McGraw Hill.)

– Harald