tlmgr doesn't work

Lars Madsen daleif at math.au.dk
Thu Dec 2 09:20:31 CET 2021

It is fairly simple, if you use TexLive from a linux dist tlmgr can only be used for certain configuration tasks.

tlmgr from a Linux dist cannot be used for package update, package installation or updating tlmgr itself.

The Linux dists wants you to get updates and install latex packages through their package system, not through tlmgr.

The fact that the linux dist does not update latex packages is unfortunate.

For linux I personally always use the upstream TeXLive from tug.org/texlive, which has a fully functional tlmgr.

Lars Madsen
Programmør

Institut for Matematik
Aarhus Universitet