About \newcommand

Christopher Skeels Chris.Skeels at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Aug 10 00:45:38 CEST 2021

I suspect that more flexibility can be gained using the xspace package and the associated xspace command in your \newcommand definition:

\usepackage{xspace}
\newcommand{\gnr}{\emph{género}\xspace}

On 10/8/21, 8:19 am, "texhax on behalf of Rolf Turner" <texhax-bounces+chris.skeels=unimelb.edu.au at tug.org on behalf of r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2021 21:45:36 +0000
    Darío via texhax <texhax at tug.org> wrote:

    > Hello! I have written an article, and habitually I use \newcommand
    > for some words commonly write and with emphasis. For example
    > \newcommand{\gnr}{\emph{género}}, but the problem is when I call the
    > command and then compile because in the pdf the word género appears
    > together to the next word, ie: (in .tex file) Pl \gnr puede definirse
    > .... (in .pdf file compiled) El géneropuede definirse .... (can not
    > show emphatic word género) Also occur without emphatic or without
    > LaTeX command. As you can see, appears together with the words género
    > and puede, how can you do it to separate the words? Not works fine if
    > I define \newcommand{\gnr}{\emph{género }}, ie with a space final
    > because may occur that I write a comma or dot.
    >
    > Thanks a lot, regards!

    If I understand you correctly (always a dubious assumption in my case!
    :-)) all you need to do is put "\ " after the "\gnr".  (That's
    "backslash space"):

       \gnr\ puede definirse

    TeX/LaTex ignores spaces after a command name.  See [1], p. 53.

    cheers,

    Rolf Turner

    [1] Leslie Lamport.  LaTeX --- A Document Preparation System;
    User's Guide and Reference Manual, second edition, Addison-Wesley,
    Boston, 1994.

    --
    Honorary Research Fellow
    Department of Statistics