About \newcommand

Darío darioslc at protonmail.com
Mon Aug 9 23:45:36 CEST 2021

Hello! I have written an article, and habitually I use \newcommand for some words commonly write and with emphasis. For example \newcommand{\gnr}{\emph{género}}, but the problem is when I call the command and then compile because in the pdf the word género appears together to the next word, ie:
(in .tex file)
El \gnr puede definirse ....
(in .pdf file compiled)
El géneropuede definirse .... (can not show emphatic word género) Also occur without emphatic or without LaTeX command.
As you can see, appears together with the words género and puede, how can you do it to separate the words?
Not works fine if I define \newcommand{\gnr}{\emph{género }}, ie with a space final because may occur that I write a comma or dot.

Thanks a lot, regards!
Darío