Bail me out

Dr Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Sat Apr 17 22:36:33 CEST 2021

Hi Adefemi,

I see you are panicking a bit here. Many of us have been in that
situation and have students that have felt like this. Do not lose your head.

It is good list etiquette to not post repeated enquiries, especially
within six minutes of each other. It is also helpful to give enough
information for others to help you.

 From your description, it is difficult to determine what error has
provided the output. You reference the use of pgfplots and I guess it is
your assumption that this has a part to play. However, it is not
possible to determine from this end what that part may be or that your
assumption is correct. "Many" is a subjective term and has different
meanings for people.

If there is a coding error, increasing memory size may allow the build
process to proceed, or it may result in the same error output but with a
different number. So I suggest that you undertake the usual error
identification processes. Find where the error is coming from and fix
it. You could roll back to a prior version of the document that worked
(you do have back ups don't you) and identify those parts that changed.
Or you could comment out or if you have used includes for the chapters,
remove sections of the thesis and rebuild it it until the error stops
coming up. If the error is in your pgfplots code, then fixing it there
may help also.

Have you tried compiling the graphs as pdfs prior to inserting them into
your thesis? Google gave me this:
https://www.overleaf.com/learn/latex/Questions/I_have_a_lot_of_tikz,_matlab2tikz_or_pgfplots_figures,_so_I'm_getting_a_compilation_timeout._Can_I_externalise_my_figures%3F

Good luck

Alan