how to check siunitx package installed or not

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Fri May 8 11:30:08 CEST 2020

On Thu, May 07, 2020 at 11:20:57PM +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
> On 07/05/2020 16:21, political science wrote:
> > When I compile this  I get message
> > |Unfortunatley the package siunitx could not
> > be installed|and an error |File siunitx.sty'
> > not found.
>
> On most systems there is a command 'kpsewhich'
> to find exactly *which* TeX file will be used,
> so if you open a Command window and type
>
>    kpsewhich siunitx.sty
>
> if will either come back with the full path to
> the file, or nothing if it is not installed or
> findable. Mine says
>
> /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/siunitx/siunitx.sty
>
> The search provided by your operating system may
> locate the file somewhere else if it is on the
> computer but not installed in a place TeX can
> find it.
>
> But it looks as if there is something wrong with
> directories or privileges: "Unfortunatley the
> package siunitx could not be installed" may mean
> that your auto-installer tried, but was
> prevented from writing to the directory. Or
> possibly that the auto-installer was unable to
> retrieve the file from CTAN.

Years earlier I had a problem with this package
and I think it has something to do with an incompatible
version created somewhere alont the line.
You can check google, I don't remember exactly
what the problem was and it looks like it eventually
resolved when I updated everything.

I expected some issues with this and created a bunch
of places to prepend search paths for locations to
dump candidate packages that may fix problems with
current ones lol.  Quickly grepping my directories
and scripts though I'm not sure if everything did
finally work without a lot of kluges..

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox