Bottom margin vs. descenders question

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Fri Jun 26 18:05:00 CEST 2020

On 26/06/2020 16:54, Paulo Ney de Souza wrote:
> Peter,
>
> I fail to see how the screenruler would work to automate the checking of
> hundreds of files. Could you elaborate?

Not for hundreds. I originally suggested it for when there is an edge
case that needs manual checking, or when an automated decision is
challenged.

One tool that did occur to me is pdfcrop, but you'd probably need to
remove the running header and footer to get to the text body.

However, if there is some commonality between them, you could aotumate
ImageMagick to cut off the running header and footer, and then see if a
crop of the remainder yielded a rectangle of the specified size, plus or
minus some tolerance.

One conference I attended requested all the papers in a specified
format, permitted one cycle of correction, and if it didn't fir the
pattern after that, it didn't get into the Proceedings. All authors were
warned about this at submission time, and signed a release declaring
they understood and accepted this. They dropped 10% of the papers this
way, and saved themselves weeks of fruitless argument with arrogant
authors who believe THEY should be a special case :-)

Peter