Bottom margin vs. descenders question

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 13:04:45 CEST 2020

On 6/24/20 11:22 PM, Doug McKenna wrote:

> In "official typesetting rules" (TeX or otherwise) are descenders
> supposed to be completely above the bottom margin bounds of a page?
> Or is just the baseline of the bottom line of a full page supposed to
> conform to the margin bounds?

Typographically speaking, what matters is what the eye sees, not what
the rulers tell us.

It all starts with the individual font design (by that I mean the
different fonts even in the same typeface). If you look closely, you'll
than letters like the «x». That's what we call in Spanish “la base de la
x” and in English “the x-height”. Otherwise, those round letters will
look smaller to the eye. See this illustrative page:

     https://material.io/design/typography/understanding-typography.html

As I said, this applies to different fonts in the same typeface. See the
Wikipedia page for the Minion typeface:

     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minion_(typeface)

You'll see that the italic font is really a little bit bigger than the
roman font, and even more so the swash (calligraphic) font, specially
the round letters.

Now to your question of the page: suppose one page has just one
descender (a «p», for example) align to the bottom of the page and the
confronted page has no descenders at all ---the eye will see the page
with the «p» shorter than the page with no descenders.

I have found (La)TeX maxdepth that Carlisle mentions truly amazing
almost always; very rarely I have to make a minor adjustment. For
example, if a display formula ends a page, (La)TeX will lower integrals
a little bit, but not the sums, which have a heavy baseline.

Best

Axel