Bottom margin vs. descenders question

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Thu Jun 25 10:24:27 CEST 2020

I think, David, that Doug was asking about typographical rules rather
than TeX practice (for which I will need to consult Hart, Brighurst, /et
al./ before attempting a proper reply) but I am now wondering whether
there are pathological cases where a TeX descender might protrude into
the lower margin.  The case I have in mind is as follows.  The page
consists of normal text with the sole exception of the penultimate line;
on that line, descenders are grossly exaggerated. Assuming that
\lineskip (etc) are set such that the penultimate and the final line
occupy their normal location in the galley (i.e., are not forced apart
by the excessive descender depth), might the penultimate line's
descenders intrude into the lower margin, even though the descenders of
the final line will not ?  The answer would appear to be "yes" —

> % !TeX Program=XeTeX
>

> \parskip = 0 pt
>
> \parindent = 0 pt
>
> \obeylines
>

> \font \gfont = cmr10 scaled 5000
>
> \def \good {\lower 3,5 ex \hbox {\gfont g}ood }
>
> \lineskip = 0 pt
>
> \lineskiplimit = -\maxdimen
>

> \topglue 0 pt
>
> \vfill
>
> The Leith police dismisseth us, for we sufficeth them.
>
> The quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog's back.
>
> Now is the time for all \good men to come to the aid of the party.
>
> Here endeth the first lesson.
>
> \eject
>

> \end

Philip Taylor