question regarding installation of packages

Semih Ozlem semihozlemlinuxuser at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 16:59:51 CEST 2020

Hi all,

I am working with debian 10.2 gnome nonfree or Ubuntu 18 19 20. I installed
texlive from the debian repository. Since I am running from live usb, I can
not install the full texlive version because attempting to do so gives no
space left on disk error. Question1: Is there a way to circumvent this by
specifying possibly an external memory source or usb to make installations
to and run programs from, or does this have to do with running debian or
ubuntu from a live version as opposed to a full installation and there is
no way to remedy this.

Second question is I am trying to in addition install packages like xypic
or beamer. When I try to do so by using tlmgr (or even just tlmgr updata
--all) I get the message unexpected return value from verify_checksum: -5

Is there a way to install a package manually. I tried doing this with xypic
and followed the installation directions included in the zip file from
CTAN's site. However, the directory structure on my machine does not seem
to match entirely the directory structure suggested in installation notes.
So I sort of used guesswork where to copy files. I was partially successful
but I got problems with FTM (I think this was fonts metric) part. I get
error messages. I am able to latex a file and I get some results but arrows
do not appear in the diagrams. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this
issue, and also for future purposes what are guidelines to follow when
manually installing an additional package from CTAN repository.

Thanks in advance for your help and assistance.