Jan20 TUG news: conferences, TeX merchandise, dek interview, ctan

TeX Users Group tug-news at tug.org
Thu Jan 9 00:15:59 CET 2020

Dear TeXers,

I hope the holidays helped you to recharge and become ready for the
new year - the last one of the second decade of this millennium.  For
those who missed this year The Great Tikzlings Christmas Extravaganza,
here is the link:  https://vimeo.com/380684973.

In 2019 TUG returned to Silicon Valley for the very interesting
meeting in Palo Alto.  We had many exciting talks (see the Proceedings
at http://tug.org/TUGboat/Contents/contents40-2.html); DEK was among
the guests.  The next meeting is scheduled for July 24 to July 26
(Fri-Sun), 2020, at RIT, Rochester, New York, USA with a calligraphy
workshop by Kris Holmes and Lorrie Frear on July 23.  The conference
website is https://tug.org/tug2020/.  Online registration and other
information will be available soon.  Hope to see you in Rochester!

Other events:
- DANTE meeting, Universit\"at zu L\"ubeck, Germany, March 25-27, 2020;
https://www.dante.de/veranstaltungen/dante2020

- G21C---Grapholinguistics in the 21st Century, CNRS Michel-Ange, Paris,
France, June 17-19, 2020; https://grafematik2020.sciencesconf.org/;
Submission deadline: January 13, 2020

- 14th ConTeXt Meeting, Prague-Sib\v{r}ina, Czech Republic, Sept. 6-12,
2020; http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2020

We are accepting submissions for the next issue of TUGboat. The
deadline is March 31; see https://tug.org/TUGboat/ for information.

In other news - we now have a Redbubble presence at
https://www.redbubble.com/people/texusersgroup. For a long time people
have asked about t-shirts, posters, mugs, stickers with TeX logos and
art - and now you can order them there! Thanks to Robin Laakso,
Pavneet Arora, and Karl Berry for setting up things.

We are going to add artwork to the site.  If you have TeX-related
images or examples of beautiful typesetting you can share, please
contact me at president at tug.org.

We have additions on our main site as well: the updated list of
museums of typography at https://tug.org/museums.html (thanks to
Barbara Beeton).

Axel Retif found this episode of AI Podcast with Lex Fridman, where
Lex talks with DEK about Algorithms, Complexity, Life, and The Art of
Computer Programming:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BdBfsXbST8

New CTAN packages in December:
- apa7, formatting document according to APA style (7th edition)
- barracuda, a modular Lua package for drawing barcode symbols
- biblatex-jura2, citation style for the German legal profession
- clara, a serif font family
- domitian, a drop-in replacement for Palatino
- erewhon-math, Utopia based OpenType Math font
- parsa, a XeLaTeX package for theses and dissertations at Iranian universities
- pmdb, create a DB (PDF) document for selecting content to include
  in other documents
- qualitype, forty five fonts by QualiType
- sdaps, LaTeX support files for SDAPS (optical recognition for exams, etc.)
- TeXLab, a LaTeX language server for completion support
- xecyrmongolian, basic support for typesetting Cyrillic Mongolian
  documents using (Xe|Lua)LaTeX

Happy TeXing!
Boris Veytsman, TUG President