Which font is this? Is there an equivalnet for use in plain TeX?

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Tue Dec 29 21:13:35 CET 2020

Boris Veytsman wrote:

> I definitely disagree.  One of the consequences of the new front ends
> to TeX (Overleaf here is one of the most striking examples) is that
> there is no longer a real need for the monstrosity of word
> processing.

Well, I am no fan of Microsoft Word, but I do believe that it (and other
word processors) have a rôle in real life.  Even I have been known to
write the odd letter in Word — it is just /convenient/ — and I use Excel
on a daily basis.

> In my exprience the users who recently switched from expensive and
> bloated Office products to the Google docs are ready for another
> switch to Overleaf.  This opens a lot of interesting prospects for TeX
> for a casual user.  I am rather optimistic here.

I have no experience of Google docs, nor of Overleaf, but I spend a
considerable amount of time using many of the members of the Adobe
Creative Cloud family — Audition, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, InDesign,
Photoshop, to name just the first five that come to mind. Premiere, as
well, though not as frequently.  I very strongly believe that there is a
place, and a rôle, for commercial products, and whilst I am more that
happy to use XeTeX for /serious /multi-page documents, little four-side
flyers such as I am preparing at this instant are far easier done in
Illustrator or InDesign.  If and when TeX is extended to support
gradient fills (etc.,), then I may have less use for Adobe CC.  But
until that time comes, I will spend at least as much time using Adobe CC
as I do using TeX and friends.

** Phil.