Botched attempt to update TL'20

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Dec 10 22:37:28 CET 2020

On 2020-12-09 at 18:10:29 -0800, Paulo Ney de Souza wrote:

 > I have always installed as "myself" and that was the case here. The
 > culprit seems to be an installation of MT Pro2 which requires
 > "sudo" and leaves a few files owned by "root". Even if that is the
 > case -- I am testing it right now -- "tlmgr" could be more careful
 > and:
 >

 >    - check file ownerships before proceeding
 >    - asking for an sudo if required
 >
 > before producing such a mess.

Paulo, are you the owner of /usr/local/texlive?  Then you don't need
sudo.  If the installation of MT Pro2 changed ownership of some files
there is nothing tlmgr can do about.  It's definitely not desirable
that everytime you invoke tlmgr it first checks the whole texlive tree
for files with wrong permissions.

If you are the owner of /usr/local/texlive (which is preferable) and
then run tlmgr as root, it's clear that some files will be owned by
root.  The correct solution is get ownership again:

  sudo chown -R paulo:users /usr/local/texlive

But this problem is not TeX Live related at all.  It happens with
other software packages too.  I understand your frustration but tlmgr
is definitely not the culprit.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25