FTP access to ctan.org down

Wolfgang Helbig helbig at mailbox.org
Sat Dec 5 10:36:37 CET 2020

Hi,

TeX-FPC, which is a set of change files for tex.web, mf.web, tangle.web
and a README that steers the user to build and install a system that is
powerful enough for typesetting and weaving in a Unix command line
environment. I aimed to impose minimal system requirements or system
knowledge on the user. In that environment, FTP seems the best tool to
download Don Knuth's distribution. FTP is widely known, widely
distributed and scriptable. This is true to a slightly lesser degree of
rsync. Mac OS 10.11 didn't come with wget or netcat or ...

I admit, I sometimes hesitate to switch to something new, just because
its newer.

Greetings and thanks to the CTAN-Team for administrating this enormous
infrastructure, with or with or without FTP!

--
Wolfgang Helbig