Font rendering (was: Re: Flash player no longer supported, what happens to media9 and Skim?)

Jim Diamond Jim.Diamond at acadiau.ca
Sun Aug 2 17:39:33 CEST 2020

Hi everyone who cares,

Attached find
(1) a PDF file which looks (to my eyes) much better with Acroread than
    with evince (and various other PDF viewers)
(2) Two screen captures of the 30 pt / 20 pt / 10 pt text,
    one for Acroread and one for evince.  Both of them claimed to be
    showing the text at 100% scale.  I am using a 163 DPI screen, FWIW.
(3) Two captures of xmag showing the 20 pt / 10 pt text.

I will say that I am happy (happy enough, anyway) with how larger
sizes get rendered by evince.  However, you can clearly see
differences with the 10pt font.  The bottom of the '0' as seen in the
xmag image is very weak, the top is weak as well.  And the general
brightness of the 10 point text is reduced, which does nothing for its
legibility.

The xmag images show that Acroread is doing sub-pixel rendering, but
evince is not.  (No-one has commented on this... does evince to SPR
for anyone?  Perhaps I have something configured incorrectly on my
system.

Anyway, perhaps people can chime in with how all these things look to
them.  Maybe its my eyes.

Cheers.

                                Jim

--
Dr. Jim Diamond       "Convenio ergo sum"      |                        /"\
Jodrey School of Computer Science              | ASCII Ribbon Campaign  \ /