pdflatex.fmt/install-tl-windows failures

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 21:55:56 CEST 2020

On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 at 16:11, Michael Barr, Prof. <barr.michael at mcgill.ca>
wrote:

> I have solved the problem.  Since the computer is new it has to be a late
> version of Win-10 and it almost immediately upgraded.  The first thing I do
> when I get a computer is install a 3rd party command processor,
> TakeCommand.  I tried running the tl-install from there.  When I tried
> running from windows (file explorer), the first thing it did was ask if I
> wanted to allow it to change things.  This step was somehow bypassed when I
> ran it from the command line.  Anyway, it finally installed and I tested a
> sample and it runs fine.  What would have happened from the DOS
> command.com I do not know and am not willing to test it.
>
> Just in case anyone is concerned, I have installed texlive 2020 from the
Windows (DOS) command line using all defaults and it works fine.  I have
not yet removed texlive 2017 and if I do need to do so (very unlikely) I
can just move the link in my PATH variable lower down than the link to the
2017 version.  If you need a front end on command .com have a look at
Conemu.

John C Frain
3 Aranleigh Park
Rathfarnham