Problems with installing

Michael Barr, Prof. barr.michael at mcgill.ca
Fri Apr 10 21:43:23 CEST 2020

After getting a new computer, I installed TL 2019 and was trying it on a sample file.  Got the following messages:

[c:\math\tac\my]l sample
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.20 (TeX Live 2019/W32TeX) (preloaded format=pdflatex)
 restricted \write18 enabled.

kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt

The command name is C:\texlive\2019\bin\win32\mktexfmt
I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!

Indded there is no pdflatex.fmt there, nor is there a mktexformat.exe.  I have installed TeX many times on many computers and never run into this.  I thought all necessary .fmt files were generated as part of the installation program.  What am I supposed to do now?

Michael