Importing a figure

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 19:24:46 CEST 2019

If you are using the standard pdflatex program to produce your pdf output
you will need to do something extra to import epd figures.  The graphicx
package and pdflatex only support pdf, jpg and png formats. There should be
no problems including jpg files in your document using the graphicx
package, figure environment, and the includegraphics command.

to include eps files in this scheme you can use the epstopdf program
(included in your tex distribution) to convert your eps file to pdf or
include the epstopdf package in your preamble.  When this is included in
the preamble and the pdflatex program encounters an eps file and no
corresponding pdf it generates the pdf and includes it in your document,
If you amend the eps file you must delete the generated pdf file as
otherwise it will not be regenerated.

Chapter 7 of my LaTeX notes contains more details (
https://econpapers.repec.org/paper/tcdtcduee/tep0214.htm).

John C Frain
3 Aranleigh Park
Rathfarnham