embedding self-describing bibtex in dvi or pdf

Enrico Schumann es at enricoschumann.net
Tue Oct 29 13:10:16 CET 2019

Quoting Mike Marchywka <marchywka at hotmail.com>:

> Do these or other formats support this ?
> For the DVI I can make a special that could be discovered with a dvi
> interpretter or just a dumb file reader if it is unique enough. PDF I know
> has a lot of flexibility but not sure what exists for this or if there
> already is a well known generally accepted approach to put in
> machine readable citation info.
>
> I could imagine tex macro for self info fields but not sure I have ever
> seen one.  pdfinfo comes close for pdf, I guess if you could add arbitrary
> key-value pairs this would work . What existing tex would let me insert stuff
> here to read later for bibtex extraction?
>
> pdfinfo cases.pdf
> Title:
> Creator:        LaTeX with hyperref package
> Producer:       pdfTeX-1.40.16
> CreationDate:   Tue Oct 29 04:51:45 2019
> ModDate:        Tue Oct 29 04:51:45 2019
> Tagged:         no
> UserProperties: no
> Suspects:       no
> Form:           none
> JavaScript:     no
> Pages:          738
> Encrypted:      no
> Page size:      612 x 792 pts (letter)
> Page rot:       0
> File size:      10873604 bytes
> Optimized:      no
> PDF version:    1.5
>

> Thanks.
>
> --
>
> mike marchywka
> 306 charles cox
> canton GA 30115
> USA, Earth
> marchywka at hotmail.com
> 404-788-1216
> ORCID: 0000-0001-9237-455X

Package 'hyperref' allows you to write user-defined key-value pairs
into a PDF:

   \documentclass{article}
   \usepackage{hyperref}
   \hypersetup{
     pdfinfo={
       x-bib-author  = {A. Writer},
       x-bib-journal = {Test}
     }
   }
   \begin{document}
   Test
   \end{document}

I am not sure, however, if pdfinfo can extract them.

--
Enrico Schumann
Lucerne, Switzerland