to tilde or not to tilde

Peter Wilson herries.press at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 7 18:29:59 CEST 2019

"The Printing of Mathematics" by Chaundy, Barrett, and Batey, Oxford
University Press, 1954,  says that mathematics should be punctuated as
normal text. For instance, if a formula is at the end of a sentence then
it should be followed by a full stop (period).

"Mathematics into Type" by Ellen Swanson, American Mathematical Society,
1999, shows many examples of punctuating math with commas and periods.

Peter W.