TeX "glue" (stretch and shrink)

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Thu Oct 3 10:39:07 CEST 2019

On 03/10/2019 00:58, Gordon Haverland wrote:
> Sorry, this isn't really a TeX problem, but it feels similar.
>
> In TeX, we usually have all characters with a common "working" height
> and working depth from a specified baseline, but the width of the
> characters can vary significantly.

This is true for all typographic systems that use variable-width fonts.

> Most people lay out trees on a Cartesian grid system.

I hope not, unless you are laying out a nursery or a plantation. I think
most forestry authorities abandoned strict grids long ago.

> What I am doing is setting up a combination deer exclusion hedgerow and
> a windbreak.

This is fascinating but it's probably off-topic for texhax. But using
LaTeX to document what you are doing or have done would be very
interesting, using embedded TikZ or SVG for the maps.

There is an interesting guide to forestry layout at
https://www.forestryservices.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Forestry_Standards_and_Procedures_Manual_2015.pdf

Peter