Section header across 2 columns

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Tue Nov 19 09:51:56 CET 2019

On 18/11/2019 19:08, David Sumbler wrote:
> I'm pretty new to LaTeX.  Writing the introductory pages to a musical
> score, I have almost got the layout I want.  But I would like the
> headings of the two main sections to be placed centrally above the 2
> columns of text below.
>
> The basic structure of my document is this:
>
> %%%%%%%%%%
> \documentclass[a4paper,12pt,twocolumn,twoside]{article}

The twocolumn option is rather restrictive. Look at using the multicol
package instead.

To centre headings, you could use

\begin{center}
\section{stuff}
\end{center}

Or use the sectsty package or similar to change the styling.

To turn off section numbering so you don't have to bother with the
asterisk, \setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}

Peter