Status of LaTeX or LaTeX-like emails.

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Thu May 9 19:07:28 CEST 2019

On Thu, May 09, 2019 at 04:20:26PM +0100, David Carlisle wrote:

> > > done (from a different account so may take longer to show on the list)
> >
> > It did pretty good in neomutt as the Tex source code formula was readable but
> > it was still enclosed in html-esque stuff. I guess what I'm after
> > is a logical organization that is better accomodated in latex
> > than html. If the source code is like simple tex then the
> > equations are nominally human readable without making a pdf file.
> > So, you could imagine alternatives for plain text, html, or latex
> > or some logical format ( NOT XML although it may be something people
> > would consider here lol).
> >

> If you are seeing tex then your mail reader isn't supporting the
> mathematics at all (which is the expected case for most mail readers
> at present) I attached a screenshot of what it was supposed to look
> like.

You are missing my point though and that is that the source code
be nominally human readable and not too verbose like XML.
If you composed messages in latex format with "simple"
tex then the logical organization would allow for either
humans reading the source code or a user designed reader
for specific types of messages ( I often get literature
updates containing a title, author list, and abstracts with links to
the full text and I would like to play with a viewer
that makes title visible and allows for selection of abstract
visibility- this may not be easy in actual latex but
if I had source code with \abstract{foo}\title{doo}
I could write a script or c++ to do what I want
or again just read the source code ).

I guess also I have spent a lot of time reading equations in
Tex and it is almost as good as the typset version except for complicated
things.

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox