How to get a texdoc in a window

James Diamond jim.diamond at acadiau.ca
Sun Mar 31 22:09:34 CEST 2019

On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 20:01 (+0100), Peter Flynn wrote:

> On 31/03/2019 14:37, Jerry wrote:
>> Now, I am not a great typist. I can only type at about 90 WPM. Not
>> quick by any means; however, better than hunt-and-peck. For the past
>> decade or thereabout, I have used an old Microsoft Comfort Keyboard
>> 5000. It doesn’t make a lot of clickity-clack noise, which is fine with
>> me because I am typing not trying to create a sonic boom. I only
>> purchased it because it had an extended palm rest. I have carpal
>> tunnel, and that was a real selling point for me, plus it only cost 39
>> dollars at the time, and it was wireless.

> A lot depends on your needs. It's always good to find one which fits exactly
> what you want.

>> The only problem I have with it is that I cannot use the custom keys
>> with a FreeBSD system, which by the way, is what I am using right now.
>> I don’t know of any application or driver in FreeBSD that will allow me
>> to take advantage of the full ability of this keyboard, but that is
>> okay. It is still the most comfortable keyboard I have ever used.

> I don't know what these custom keys are, so I can't help there. I found a
> picture of the keyboard and it seems to have a band of additional keys along
> the wavy top edge. To remap them, you would need access to the scan codes
> they create, and this is probably restricted to Microsoft.

Peter,

there is no reason those are restricted to M$, unless there is some
top-secret "enable these keys" sent by the M$ keyboard driver for that
keyboard.

More likely (*cough*), they emit scancodes that are not translated
into anything.

For example, I have a Logitech "wireless presenter" which has a laser
pointer and a few buttons to do various things.  To make those buttons
work under Linux, I added a file /etc/udev/logitech-r400 which has

--------------------------

# The real forward and backward keys:
0x7004B pageup
0x7004E pagedown

# f14 gets turned into XF86Launch5
0x70029 f14
0x7003E f14
# f15 gets turned into XF86Launch6
0x70037 f15

Interested parties can read
https://derickrethans.nl/logitech-r400.html
for a more detailed explanation.

Now, Jerry did say FreeBSD.  But I would be surprised if FreeBSD did
not have a way of doing an analogous thing.

Cheers.

                                Jim