Object ID creation in PDFs

supriya supriya.adhatarao at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 11:18:39 CET 2019

Hello everyone,
I am trying to understand how objects are encoded in the PDF.
I realized that it's not consistent with different PDF files (I created
several PDF with different number of pages and checked the obj ID (ex
format- 1 0 obj .... endobj) ). Each file consists of several objects and
the way they are assigned is not consistent (sometime its incremented and
some time decremented, increment is also random).

Could anyone explain me how objects are assigned in the PDF?
Is there a way to generate obj number/ID, if yes, what is the way to
generate obj IDs.
Any information about how the objects are created and encoded will be
helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Have a great day.
Regards,