piping DVI, who is Tom Rokicki ?

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 19 14:54:28 CEST 2019

I started looking at tex and got to texmfmp.c, finding these comments,

/* IPC for TeX.  By Tom Rokicki for the NeXT; it makes TeX ship out the
   DVI file in a pipe to TeXView so that the output can be displayed
   incrementally.  Shamim Mohamed adapted it for Web2c.  */
#if defined (TeX) && defined (IPC)

On a few moments of search, I found AUCTEX which has a WYSIWYG
like feature. This may be an ideal starting point although
apparently it is all emacs lisp LOL. In any case if tex has
an IPC output option that may be a big step closer to what I
was after. Curious if anyone can comment on this socket output
or incremental dvi or auctex as it may relate.

Thanks.

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox