locations of code that touches dvi

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 16 21:17:51 CEST 2019

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 02:22:10PM +0100, David Carlisle wrote:
>    On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 at 14:14, Schneider, Thomas (NIH/NCI) [E] <[mailto:schneidt at mail.nih.gov]schneidt at mail.nih.gov> wrote:
>
>      On 7/16/19, 7:55 AM, "David Carlisle" <[mailto:d.p.carlisle at gmail.com]d.p.carlisle at gmail.com> wrote:
>          texk/web2c/luatexdir/dvi/dvigen.w
>      Please connect this to the actual web or file systems somewhere.
>      Where is this?  What notation is this?
>
>    Oh sorry I assumed the OP already had the texlive sources to hand and that would have been a local path (except the
>    filename has been changed from .w to .c, I was looking at an older branch) so a URL would be
>    [https://github.com/TeX-Live/texlive-source/blob/trunk/texk/web2c/luatexdir/dvi/dvigen.c]https://github.com/TeX-Live/texliv
>    e-source/blob/trunk/texk/web2c/luatexdir/dvi/dvigen.c

Generally in cases like this you need to search anyway and the web2c site was intersting. I downloaded everything
now from git, previously just xdvik as tar, and built still looking through it. There are a lot of dvi utilities but
I'm not sure which actually use dvigen from quick greps. I did also find dt2dv etc. Apparently though dvigen
is related to luatex. I never previously dug deep enough into latex to get to the dvi code generation
and still not sure how that occurs. However, I got the textlive-base source and presume it is in there
somewhere.

I guess just generally thinking about the objective, when you get a long structured document you
may want to expand parts of it not scroll through it. And this may not be just expanding say a few tables
or a paragraph at a time but say all blocks generated by some command like "\foo{ foo text here }"
Not sure what exists for that yet but I'm getting some idea of how the fixed pages are described now.

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox
marchywka at hotmail.com