locations of code that touches dvi

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 16 12:29:20 CEST 2019

I found dviasm and downloaded the source code from ubuntu repo - apparently
it is now a python script bundled with about 1Gb of other tex utilities.
The c code with the same name appears on the internet but may be much
older. I got that as an alternative to the dt2dv related utilities but
they all seem to work on simple test cases.

I guess my first question is what is the best dvi assembler/dissembler
written in c or c++ or easily converted to it?

Also if someone can point me to the dvi generation code in
latex it would help. I have the xdvik code called from
my test program and was debating about altneratives for
testing some modifications. I guess ideally I could write
latex code and compile it into modified dvi
with a modified latex although if that is too involved I can
generate the dvi from my own scripts and worry about the
tex stuff later.

I was amazed digging into xdvik that the dvi execution code
seems tractable and hoping now the latex code is easy too.

Thanks.

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox