TeX - ! Extra alignment tab has been changed to \cr

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 17:37:48 CEST 2019

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 at 16:26, Carlos <linguafalsa at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Or do you believe that LaTeX should behave differently than what plain
>> TeX should do with the analogous construct?
>

> Jim and Paul:
>
> I've always thought that LaTeX should behave differently ... pretty much in the same lines as Plain does, and if not, Remove the error message from LaTeX, and then we'll talk about it .. get rid of that crap because is not doing anything but further obscuring the problem

The error is not from latex it is from tex-the-program, you are asking
for an (unspecified) change in the tex binary not a change to the
latex macros.

The latex example is exactly the same as this plain tex document, and
gets the same error

\halign{\hfil#\hfil&\hfil#\hfil&\hfil#\hfil&\hfil#\hfil\cr
para ver &&&&\cr
}

\bye