TeX - ! Extra alignment tab has been changed to \cr

Carlos linguafalsa at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 02:16:58 CEST 2019

> TeX looks only for ‘\cr’commands, ‘&’, ‘#’, ‘\span’, and ‘\tabskip’. The
> glue following ‘\tabskip’ is scanned in the usual way (with macro expansion)

 this is from page 238

And

This example merits careful study because it illustrates several things.
> (1)~The `|&|' ^^{ampersand} is like the {\sc TAB} key on many typewriters;
> it tells \TeX\ to advance to the next tab position, where there's a tab at
> the right edge of each column. In this example, \TeX\ has set up four tabs,
> indicated by the dashed lines; a dashed line is also shown at the left
> margin, although there isn't really a tab there. (2)~But `|&|' isn't
> exactly like a mechanical typewriter {\sc TAB}, because it first backs up
> to the beginning of the current column before advancing to the next. In
> this way you can always tell what column you're tabbing to, by counting
> the number of |&|'s; that's handy, because variable-width type otherwise
> makes it difficult to know whether you've passed a tab position or not.
> Thus, on the last line of our example, three |&|'s were typed in order to
> get to column~4, even though the text had already extended into column~2
> and perhaps into column~3. (3)~You can say `|\cr|' before you have
> specified a complete set of columns, if the remaining columns are blank.
> (4)~The |&|'s are different from tabs in another way, too: \TeX\ ignores
> ^{spaces} after~`|&|', hence you can conveniently finish a column by typing
> `|&|'~at the end of a line in your input file, without worrying that an
> extra blank space will be introduced there. \ (The second-last line of the
> example ends with~`|&|', and there is an implicit blank space following
> that
> symbol; if \TeX\ hadn't ignored that space, the words `the fourth'
> wouldn't have started exactly at the beginning of the fourth column.) \
> Incidentally, plain \TeX\ also ignores spaces after `|\+|', so that the
> first column is treated like the others. (5) The `^|\it|' in the last line
> of the example causes only the first column to be italicized, even though
> no ^{braces} were used to confine the range of italics, because \TeX\
> implicitly inserts braces around each individual entry of an alignment.

My issue notwithstanding the above, is the simple misleading message of

 Extra alignment tab has been changed to \cr

When you ask an Anglophone speaking individual what from the above he/she
can understand from it,, that individual might reply - and rightly so -
that what the message conveys is that the \cr was applied to the newline,
Hence that extra alignment (unspecified or not) has been changed. So this
conversation would be nullified to start with.

If on the other hand, I were to translate the above to Spanish, and ask a
Spanish speaking individual what that message seems to convey to him/her,
that very same individual  almost surely will agree with the Anglophone
counterpart.

I, unlike you, would be staggered if that is not modified accordingly by
Knuth. I highly doubt it, that the context of the TeXbook needs a revision
at this stage though.