[texhax] could someone give me an explanation as to why fontsize fails with an overfull box

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Jan 11 12:46:40 CET 2019

David has kindly pointed out (off-list) that my earlier suggested
replacement for \sloppy (in this example, not generally) is
sub-optimal.  Herewith an improved version.

> \documentclass{article}
>

> \usepackage{mathptmx}
>
> \setlength{\parindent}{9.94pt}
>
> \showoutput
>
> \overfullrule = 10 pt
>

> \begin{document}
>

> \fontsize{14.1}{17}\selectfont
>
> \fontdimen 2 \font = 0.99 \fontdimen 2 \font
>
> \fontdimen 3 \font = 1.05 \fontdimen 3 \font
>

> The reason is that upon restarting the computer, there are also other
> programs
>
> that start running on the background, among them Antivirus programs and
>
> whatever other programs Windows deems necessary for the functionality of
>
> the system.
>

> \end{document}

Philip Taylor